Chronological List Of Events

Compiled by Rachel Dailey in 1995, Boogie Bouknight updated 2011

This data is from "The Histroy Of Shady Grove"

DATE EVENT

1750’s

First settlers in the area erected a bush arbor to shade their worship place on the west side of what is now Shady Grove Road.

1770’s

A log building known as Busby's Meeting House was erected on west side of what is now Shady Grove Road, then known as Busby Road.  The church was served by circuit riders and it is rumored that Francis Asbury preached here at one time.

1784

The church became a part of the Methodist Church.

1830’s

The log building was replaced by a frame building located on the east side of what is now Shady Grove Road.  The frame building faced the intersection of what are now Shady Grove Road and St. Johns Road.

1910

A frame building was erected on the current site.  This building had two (2) inside doors and two (2) aisles. There was a window over the front door with the words "Shady Grove Methodist Church".  This building serves as the foundation of the current sanctuary.

1923

One acre of land adjacent to the church property was acquired from E. A. Bouknight.

1924

Sunday School rooms were added to the side of the building.  (This is the area to the right of the pulpit, if facing the congregation.  Part of this area currently serves as the choir area.)

Early 1940’s

A separate Sunday School building was erected. NOTE: Unable, at this time, to determine the exact date.

1954

1.4 acres of land adjacent to the church property was acquired from D. S. Bouknight.

Late 1950’s

The interior and exterior of the sanctuary was remodeled - changed the steeple, changed from two inside doors and two  aisles to one inside door and 1 aisle. NOTE: Unable, at this time, to determine the exact date.

Late 1950’s to early 1960’s

Stained glass windows were added to the sanctuary. Windows were donated in honor and/or memory of loved ones and are so inscribed. NOTE: Unable, at this time, to determine the exact date. We have a picture of the church taken in 1957 that does not have stained glass windows and one taken in 1964 that does.

1961

The first well for the church was dug.

1962

Union Methodist Church became a station church, leaving Shady Grove and Salem on the Irmo Charge.

1962-63

The Fellowship Hall was erected.  This was the last building project undertaken and completed entirely by the members of the church.

1965

The chancel rail was renovated and the chairs in the pulpit were replaced.  The chairs were handmade by a man in Chapin.

1966-68

The current Education Building was erected.  The Sunday School building that was built in the early 1940's was torn down and the entrance to the sanctuary was changed from the right side of the pulpit to the left side of the pulpit

1968

The church name became Shady Grove United Methodist Church when the Methodist Church and Evangelical United Brethren merged to become the United Methodist Church.

1969

Salem United Methodist Church became a station church and Shady Grove United Methodist and St. John's United Methodist became a Charge.

Mid 1970’s

The front of the church was remodeled and the covered front porch was added.  NOTE: Unable, at this time, to determine the exact date.

1977

Shady Grove United Methodist Church became a station church with its first full-time minister.  A parsonage was built at 2744 Kennerly Road on 2.1 acres of land given by Mr. and Mrs. Ronald F. Johns.

1978

Central heating and air-conditioning was installed in the sanctuary.

1980

The handicap ramp was added to the side entrance of the sanctuary.

Around 1981

A second well was dug to replace the first one and the kitchen in the Fellowship Hall was remodeled.

1983

A pictorial directory of church members was published.  The interior of the sanctuary was remodeled again.  The walls and ceiling of the sanctuary were replaced with wood paneling and new light fixtures were installed.

1987

5.18 acres of land adjacent to church property was given by Woodmont Associates.  A processional cross was donated by the James Monts Sunday School Class in memory of Ronnie Northcutt.  One hundred (100) new hymnals were donated by the United Methodist Women with proceeds from their cookbook sale.

1989

2.92 acres of land adjacent to church property was purchased from Robert S. Eleazer.

1994

2.82 acres of land adjacent to church property was purchased from Charles Eleazer.

1995

A Building Committee was formed to work with an architect to develop plans for a new church complex to be built on the east side of St. Johns Road facing Shady Grove Road.

2000 The Family Life Center was completed which included a gym, full kitchen, stage and classrooms.
2006 The Fellowship Hall took on a new look with new wallpaper, paint, new lights and new window treatments.  This was done by the UMW and others in the church.
About 2009 The floors in the sanctuary were refinished and new carpet installed.
2011 The stain-glass windows in the sanctuary were removed, restored and reinstalled.